Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, India, Japan, Poland, South Korea, and Spain global international market
Global Connect is the Ingram Content Group program that enables your titles to be available to a wider network of Print-on-Demand (POD) distributors around the world. Global Connect offers unparalleled distribution to a global network of retailers by working with trusted and vetted digital printers in countries around the world. Distribution hubs in each country combine POD technology with long-established retailer relationships to efficiently reach readers in their local markets.
Dropship orders are not available through these printers. They only fulfill bookstore and retail orders in their market.
How Your Books Reach a Global Marketplace of Bookstores & Online Retailers
Not only can Global Connect help you capture sales and find new customers in markets that would otherwise be difficult to reach, but you also are compensated the same way as if your books were sold through Ingram wholesale.
With no inventory on hand, books are printed and distributed only when retailers and customers place orders. Publishers are paid for the sale minus the cost of printing and the wholesale discount, which eliminates the high up-front costs associated with storing and managing physical inventory. This makes it easier than ever before to build your independent global publishing business.
The current GCP markets are Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, India, Japan, Poland, South Korea, and Spain.
You can add pricing in one market and it is automatically calculated for the other markets (US and UK pricing were entered in the examples below)
You will need to add the wholesale discount and returns option you want to offer in each market. Once that is done you will see the correct amount of compensation calculated to the right, in that market's currency.
Note: IngramSpark charges a global distribution fee of 1% of the list price which is deducted before compensation is paid. The distribution fee is not reflected in the compensation amounts shown below.
If you want to see what the compensation amount calculates to in your currency, you can enter the amount into a currency converter calculator, such as www.xe.com
BENEFITS OF USING GLOBAL CONNECT
- Eliminate shipping costs to foreign markets
- Eliminate the guesswork of determining how much inventory to print and ship
- Remove the risk of offering a title to the global market due to low or unknown sales potential
- Never miss a sale in these markets
- Make titles available without dealing with the local printer, unsecure file distribution, or currency exchange
- Possible frontlist solution into foreign language markets
- Books sold in the Global Connect markets are non-returnable.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What currency am I paid in? All payments to the publisher are calculated in US$ and paid in the currency the publisher normally receives. The payment currencies supported today are USD, GBP, AUD, EUR, and CAD.
Who sets the price in the local market? The publisher provides a price they will be paid for each book in US$ and the printer partner will convert this to their currency, add margin and print cost, and then determine the price to sell the book in their market and in their currency.
Are the books returnable? No, all sales are non-returnable through the Global Connect Program.
How often do I receive reporting? We provide sales reports for GCP sales monthly within the existing US POD publisher comp statements. You can also generate reports from your IngramSpark account. This can be found under Reports, Print sales reports. Select the option for the Global Connect/Espresso report. If viewing online, be sure to deselect the option for POD.
Can I remove pricing from a GCP market? No, participation in the GCP requires you to offer pricing in all GCP markets.
- Print partner: Meta Brasil
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.com.br; www.Submarino.com.br; www.EstanteVirtual.com.br
- Popular Content: Mostly non-Portuguese language education and academic textbooks. Original versions of international bestsellers
- Where will the content be available? Amazon Brazil, Submarino (the largest Brazilian e-commerce), Estante Virtual, and various independent bookstores.
- Print partner: China National Publications Import & Export (Group) Co., Ltd (CNPIEC)
- Physical Connectivity: CNPIEC library catalog: State-owned retail network, libraries, private-owned bookstores
- Online Connectivity: www.JD.com, http://book.dangdang.com, WeChat bookselling channels
- Six locations across China: Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Dalian Group. Their print-on-demand facility is located in Beijing.
- Popular content: A variety of foreign books sell in China. There is greater interest in academic, foreign language education, children’s, and young adult titles.
- Where will the content be available? Xinhua, China’s state-owned publication distribution and retail network, works closely with CNPIEC. CNPIEC also distributes directly to private retailers such as Dang Dang, JD.com, and Amazon China. Your books will be available across several market segments including institutional markets, physical bookstores, online bookstores, and the media sector.
- Print Partner: Books on Demand
- Physical Connectivity: Libri (owners of BOD)
- Online Connectivity: www.libri.de
- Popular Content: English continues to dominate as the language of origin for translations into German, by a large margin. The main content types that are popular in the German market are Fiction, Children and Young Adults, Self-Help, Scientific, Non-Fiction, School and Education, and Travel.
- Where will content be available? BoD offers printing and delivery of books and then distributes them through direct links to major book wholesalers.
- Print partner: Repro
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.in; www.Flipkart.in;
- Popular Content: Academic titles, test prep materials, and trade fiction are most in demand.
- Where will content be available? Books will be available through these online retailers: Amazon.in, Flipkart
- Print partner: Rotomail
- Online Connectivity: www.IBS.it, www.Libraccio.it, www.Inmondadori.it, www.Libreriarizzoli.it, www.Amazon.eu
- Physical Connectivity: Messaggerie Libri
- Popular Content: Best-selling English-language fiction books that have been translated into Italian are top sellers in Italy. Additionally, the top content types are Non-Fiction, Fiction by a Foreign Author, Children's and Young Adult, and Fiction by an Italian author.
- Where will content be available? Rotomail works to make Lightning Source titles available via IBS.it, Libraccio.it, Inmondadori.it, Libreriarizzoli.it
- Printer partner: Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP)
- Physical Connectivity: Maruzen, a chain of booksellers, will be able to sell your titles in brick-and-mortar retailers as well as directly to universities and libraries.
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.co.jp
- Popular Content: The most in-demand content in Japan is (listed in order of ranking) Juvenile Fiction, Comics & Graphic Novels, Fiction, Juvenile Non-Fiction, History, Business & Economics, Educational, Religion, Biography, and Foreign Language Study (including English as a foreign language)
- Percent of Ingram’s Total POD Sales into Japan by Content-Language:
- 97% English
- 1.0% Japanese
- 0.7% Spanish
- 0.4% German
- 0.3% French
- 0.2% Italian
- 0.4% All other languages
- Where will content be available? Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) is an innovative printing company that has been based in Tokyo, Japan since 1876. DNP has been involved in the Print-on-Demand (POD) book business since 2001. DNP will sell your titles online through Amazon.co.jp. DNP will make the full Global Connect catalog available to the bookstore chain Maruzen, where booksellers will be able to sell your titles both in brick-and-mortar retailers and directly to universities and libraries.
Japan's Top 10 Best-selling Individual BISAC Codes Over the Past 3 Years
- Print partner: Azymut
- Physical Connectivity: PWN Bookstores
- Online Connectivity: www.empik.com; www.Krainaksiazek.pl; www.Gigant.pl; www.Czytam.pl
- Popular Content: The content most in-demand in Poland is Non-Fiction, Action and Crime, Romance, and Belles Lettres.
- Where will content be available? AZYMUT distributes titles online through Krainaksiazek.pl, Gigant.pl, Czytam.pl, and Empik.com, Poland’s largest online media retailer. They are also available through PWN Bookstores, which have physical as well as online stores.
- Print Partner: KSI
- Online Connectivity: www.Yes24.com; www.Aladdin.co.kr; www.kyobobook.co.kr; www.Interpark.com, www.coupang.com
- Popular Content: Since most Koreans are fluent in English, they are interested in all kinds of English-language content. Academic books are one of the best-selling book segments in Korea
- Where will content be available? KSI has established relationships with distributors and 2,300+ retail points of sale across South Korea including online bookstores such as www.Yes24.com, www.aladin.co.kr, and www.kyobobook.co.kr along with independent booksellers, universities, and government organizations. KSI also has its own website for distributing foreign titles that covers all parts of South Korea.
- Print partner: Podiprint
- Physical Connectivity: CEGAL (Spanish Confederation of Guilds and Associations of Booksellers)
- Online Connectivity: www.casadellibro.com; www.carrefour.com.es; www.Buscalibre.es; www.Amazon.es; www.Fnac.es; www.elcorteingles.es
- Popular Content: The content in most demand in Spain is Non-Academic Textbooks, Literature, and Children's and Young Adults.
- Where will content be available? Podiprint has an agreement with CEGAL, the Spanish Confederation of Guilds and Associations of Booksellers, and brings together 1,600 bookstores throughout Spain, all of which receive catalogs.