change update price retail list discount wholesale trade cutoff deadline time retail library return negative calculate
Changes to the retail price, wholesale discount, and returns option are updated weekly. These changes are different than other book information updates because they affect your publisher's compensation earnings and payments.
You can now update the pricing, returns option, or discount more quickly, to meet a bookstore's requirements for an in-store event, as an example. Only changes to the list price, wholesale discount, and returns option are updated weekly.
Click on the links below to access the information:
You can update the price of your book, wholesale discount, or returns status by logging into your IngramSpark account:
- Click on the title of your book, which takes you to the Title Information page
- Click on the Print Info button or Ebook button
- Scroll down to the pricing section and click the edit button to the right
- After adding or changing the price, discount, or returns option, click save.
Things to consider when pricing your book:
- Offer your book with a list price that is considered a fair and reasonable price for each market the book is being sold into and the type of content of the book.
- Assign a price to your title that conforms to trade standard pricing, ending in .95, .99, or .00 in ALL markets.
- Pricing errors do sometimes happen, and titles submitted with a list price greater than 99.00 (USD, GBP, AUD), will be reviewed by the Customer Support management team. If you believe your book is appropriately priced and exceeds 99.00 (USD, GBP, AUD) please contact Customer Support and let them know, so there are no delays with your book.
You can now submit updates to a book's list price, discount, and/or returns option, through your IngramSpark account no later than 11:59 PM US Central Time each Thursday, to have it applied in the Lightning Source system the next day, Friday at 12:01 AM US Central Time. The updates are then sent out to all of Ingram’s global distribution networks.
To help with converting this cut-off time to your local time zone you can find a time zone conversion tool HERE.
NOTE: Due to Daylight Savings time changes happening at different times throughout the world, please always check the time for Nashville, TN, to ensure you don’t miss the cut-off time of 11:59 PM US Central Time each Thursday.
- Pricing for Library markets must end in 0.99
- Retail prices must exist in each market where a library price is added
- The library price must be less than or equal to the retail price of the print version
- For Institutional models, the library price cannot exceed 4x the value of the retail price
Compensation and returns are based on the pricing we have in our system at the time of the sale or return.
Changes to the list price, discount, and/or returns option for your book can have a negative impact on your compensation earnings.
Prior Pricing (what the pricing was in our system- the book was returnable and copies were returned back to the publisher)
$18.00 retail price
-53% wholesale discount our distribution partners receive (not bookstores, libraries, etc.)
$8.46 wholesale price our distribution partners pay us
-$5.00 print cost
$3.46 pub comp earnings
Current Pricing (pricing was changed and the pricing is in our system now) List price was increased, the discount was decreased and the book was made non-returnable.
$50.00 retail price (increased from $18)
-30% wholesale discount (decreased from 53%) our distribution partners receive
$35.00 wholesale price our distribution partners pay us
-$5.00 print cost
$30.00 pub comp earnings
This is an example of how these changes can affect your earnings:
Books purchased at $50 – 30% = $35.00 Wholesale, which is what the bookstores pay and this is what they are refunded when books are returned.
Books purchased at $18 – 53% = $8.46 Wholesale, which is what the bookstores paid and will now be refunded $35.00 <-$26.54> additional cost to the publisher for every returned book.
PLUS, if the book is being returned back to the publisher, it's an additional $2 charge per unit if returned to an address in the U.S. and $20 per book if returned to an address outside the U.S.
If you are considering making pricing changes, please use the publisher compensation calculator to determine how much you will earn. Contact our support team if you have any questions.
Compensation earned for books sold in Australia is charged GST before the payment is made to you. Divide your intended Retail Price by 1.1.
The pub comp calculator does not account for the GST on the cost of printing. In order to see what you will actually be paid, you need to calculate 10% on the unit print cost and deduct this from your stated pub comp.
Books have a higher price point in the AU market in comparison with US and UK markets. Do your research and price your book similar to those in your book's genre.
Offering a 53-55% wholesale discount should ensure the intended retail price is honored on online vendor sites.