How do I get an ISBN? Where can I buy an ISBN?
If you are located outside the United States you can visit https://www.isbn-international.org/ to find out where to purchase an ISBN, which is essentially the same as an EAN.
If you are in the United States, you can obtain an ISBN in 3 ways:
- You can buy ISBNs from Bowker, the US ISBN Agency. Check their website (com) for current pricing.
- You can buy ISBNs through your IngramSpark account, for $85 each, when setting up your book and you will own the ISBN. ISBNs purchased through IngramSpark are non-refundable.
- You can use a free ISBN from IngramSparkwhen setting up your new title. Please note the following stipulations when using the free ISBN:
- The imprint/publishing name on websites will be listed as Indy Pub
- Any title with a free ISBN must be placed in our distribution program
- The ISBN cannot be transferred to another account in the future
- The ISBN cannot be used on any other publishing platforms
- Pricing for at least one distribution market is required and the book will be available for sale through each market pricing is provided for
- If you use a free ISBN and later decide you want to own the ISBN, you will have to set the title up as a new book (or as a new or revised edition). Complete the title setup process as you would with a new title (setup fees incurred) and purchase a different ISBN for the book. This would be a great time to make any changes to the cover or interior of the book before setting it up and uploading files.
- Promo codes to waive or reduce the title setup fees cannot be used in conjunction with a free ISBN. Example: You enter a promo code to waive or reduce the $49 setup fee and buy an ISBN for $85, which you own, OR, you pay the $49 set up fee and use a free ISBN, which you do not own and cannot use anywhere other than IngramSpark.