This article is an overview of IngramSpark, the available services, and how they work. IngramSpark is an award-winning independent publishing platform, offering indie authors and publishers quality print books and ebooks as well as global distribution.
Your book can be listed as available for sale through Ingram's global distribution network reaching more than 39,000 distributors, wholesalers, retail outlets, bookstores, and libraries in 200 countries.
The book must be printed in one of the trim sizes we offer and you must have an ISBN.
If you do not have an ISBN, you can obtain one from www.ISBN.org or through IngramSpark for $85, or have a free ISBN assigned which cannot be combined with the free title set up promotion codes, when offered. The free ISBN will display the publishing company/imprint as Indy Pub on websites.
Ingram will list the book as “in stock” so that bookstores always have access to buy your titles.
When the distribution channel partner or retailer receives an order for your book, they let us know how many copies they need. We print the books and ship them to the distribution channel partner/retailer who will fulfill the order.
You, the publisher, will promote your book and drive the business to the distribution partner’s websites.
We pay you publisher compensation for book sales approximately 90 days later (Ex: December compensation is paid the first week of April).
Publisher compensation earnings/payments are based on the retail price you set, minus the wholesale discount you offer our partners, minus the print cost we charge. Whatever is left is what we pay you for every book sold. Use our publisher compensation calculator to better understand what you’ll earn for each print book you sell through the global distribution channels.
If you are promoting your book to bookstores and retailers, you will need to offer a minimum 53% wholesale discount in the US and 48% in the UK, Europe, and Australia, in order for bookstores to receive their normal trade discount. The wholesale discount you offer is not the discount bookstores, retailers, and libraries receive.
You will also select a returns option. If you are unsure of a returns option, I suggest making the book non-returnable unless you have a reason to make it returnable. Books can be returned at any time and for any reason and can be costly.
If you are working with the Barnes and Noble small press dept. in order to obtain approval to have the book sold into their stores, they do require you offer 53% and returns.
Once you finish and format your book, IngramSpark makes it possible to share it with the world with benefits such as:
- Quality formats: paperback, hardcover, and ebook in a variety of trim sizes, color, paper, and binding types
- Global distribution: availability to over 39,000 retailers in-person and online, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, Walmart, and independent bookstores and libraries worldwide
- Free Education: free resources to help you publish successfully
The first step is to create an account. Here’s what you need to complete the process:
- Credit card to keep on file in your secure account (can be changed at any time or others added)
- Tax ID number (because as a publisher, you are also considered a business owner)
- Banking information or PayPal information (US) (for direct deposit of what you earn for every book sale)
Once your account is fully set up, you can log in and upload a book, at which point, you’ll enter all of the relevant information about your title. You can visit this link for details on what kind of information you’ll need to provide about your book, including basic book information like title, description, and author bio, and more complex information such as pricing, returns, and wholesale discounts.
Learn about the benefits of indie publishing, discover important information, and uncover industry tips by visiting our website.
Create print-ready cover and interior PDF files using our new book-building tool. Type your manuscript directly into the tool, or upload and edit your existing manuscript (MS Word document). You can also choose design layouts for your cover and interior, and export files pre-formatted to meet IngramSpark's file requirements. Did we mention it's free? Check it out during title setup in your IngramSpark account!
Here are some additional resources to best explain file creation with IngramSpark:
· PDF File Checklist Common causes of print file rejection and delays to avoid
· File Creation Guide How to set up print files
· Ebook File Creation How to set up ebook files
· Cover Template Generator Template to layout your cover for file upload with appropriate safety areas and barcode included.
· Self-Publishing Experts Companies vetted by IngramSpark who provide services on editing, design, marketing, and more (many at special discounted rates)
You will be compensated for print books sold through our distribution network, based on the retail price minus the wholesale discount you offer, minus the print cost of the book you choose to publish. Your sales are registered on the print sales report in your IngramSpark account when the book leaves our print facility, and you receive payment approximately 90 days later.
· Use our publisher compensation calculator to better understand what you’ll earn for each print book you sell through the global distribution channels.
Ordering Your Book
You will also be able to place orders for your book to be printed and shipped wherever you choose through our print facilities in the US, UK, and Australia.
· Use our print and ship calculator to better understand the cost of ordering and shipping your book yourself.
IngramSpark also offers distribution for eBooks!
With IngramSpark, your book can be distributed to every major e-reader or mobile device with CoreSource. CoreSource is a proven, secure system that allows your content to flow swiftly and safely from IngramSpark to various distribution and retail partners around the world. Since starting in 2011, CoreSource is used by 25% of the world’s top 50 publishers.
Reach every major mobile and e-reader device, including iBookstore, Kobo, Kindle, Barnes & Noble, and more with CoreSource and IngramSpark. That’s millions of potential readers accessing your ebook from anywhere.
FREE GLOBAL MARKET ACCESS (E-book Distribution)
· To locate a list of our ebook distribution partners, please CLICK HERE.
*If you have provided any ebooks to Amazon for the Kindle in the past 12 months we will not be able to provide service to Kindle through the IngramSpark program.
**If you currently have ebook content available on Apple, you will need to remove those ebooks from the iBook store prior to uploading those same titles into IngramSpark. Also, note that any reviews or ratings of that content will not transfer when your titles reappear in the iBook store.
COMPENSATION PAID TO YOU FOR EVERY EBOOK SOLD
- eBook compensation – you earn 40% of the List and Agency Price**
- eBook retailers have 25 days after month end to report eBook sales to Ingram
- Compensation for eBooks sold is paid approximately 90 days after the sales are reported to Ingram
- If there were no sales, you will not receive a compensation report email
**For sales on or after January 28th, 2021, you will be paid 85% of the net revenue received by IngramSpark for every sale of your ebook.
CONVERSION SERVICE & FEE
· We can convert your print PDF to an EPUB file for $.60 cents per page.
Free Publisher Education
· Online User Guide How to use our website
· Weekly Blog Industry tips on topics that matter most from publishing experts
· Free Online Courses Subjects that matter most to your success, such as How to Build Your Author Platform and · Understanding Your Book Metadata
· Podcast Industry experts on-the-go in short, info-packed episodes covering publishing topics
· Downloadable Guides Deeper dives into publishing essentials in quick guides
· Community Connection to fellow IngramSpark authors and publishers for peer help and discussions, accessed from the “Support” button in the bottom right corner of your IngramSpark account dashboard