The following instructions will help you when setting up a new ebook in your IngramSpark account. If you are setting up a print book and an ebook at the same time, please reference the Title Set Up article here.
In the Titles section of your IngramSpark account, click on Add a New Title
- Select the product type: eBook
- Enter the Title and Subtitle, if you have one
- Select the language used to write the content of the ebook
- You can also include a short description, series name and number, and edition
- Provide 7 to 11 keywords that will help readers find your ebook. Consider the type of reader you are trying to attract.
- Full Description: you are required to provide a full description of what the ebook is about.
- Add the Author/Contributor information. The more information you provide will help readers locate your ebook
- Imprint: select the imprint also known as the publishing name for the ebook. If you need to add an imprint, you can make the request by clicking on the link "request another imprint"
- Subjects: these are BISAC subject categories that will help readers locate your ebook. You are required to select one but selecting 3 can narrow down the search for your ebook
- Regional Subject: include this if the ebook content is about a certain region or country
- Thema Subjects: EDItEUR provides more information on Thema, its history, instructions, and details on all available Thema subject categories. Visit their website http://www.editeur.org/ for more information.
- Audience: Select an audience that fits the reader you are trying to attract
- You can add a table of contents, review quotes, and the number of illustrations in the ebook
- Ebook ISBN- Since the digital edition (ebook) of a title requires its own ISBN/EAN, you’ll need to provide an ISBN/EAN when you set up your ebook. You can enter your ISBN if you have one or purchase one from IngramSpark for $85, which you would own, or you can receive a free ISBN to be used only in your IngramSpark account and you would not own it. We recommend you own the ISBN.
- IngramSpark now offers free ISBNs to authors and publishers located in the United States.
- The imprint will be listed as Indy Pub
- Any title with a free ISBN must be placed in our wholesale distribution program
- ISBN cannot be transferred to another account in the future
- ISBN cannot be used on any other publishing platforms (KDP, Blurb, Bookbaby, etc.)
- Pricing for at least one market is required and the ebook will be available for sale through each market pricing is provided for
- If you use a free ISBN and later decide you want to own the ISBN, you will have to set up the ebook as a new or revised title and purchase a different ISBN for the ebook
- Promo codes cannot be used in conjunction with a free ISBN (Example: promo codes for free title setup)
- Pricing: Enter a list/retail price for your ebook for each market you want to make your book available to. While the “Ebook Retail Price” can be any numeric amount with two decimal places, the “Apple Ebook (Agency) Price” must end in .99 (e.g. $3.99, $9.99, $0.99). Most ebook platforms price their books according to the “Ebook Retail Price,” but ebooks sold through Apple’s iTunes Store follow the “Apple Ebook (Agency Price)”; furthermore, some ebook retailers will assign their own price to your ebook, but regardless of the price you will be paid the amount listed in the “Compensation” section. This is a big benefit to using IngramSpark since your profits aren’t reduced if the retailer lowers the price on their site.
- Add a publication date and an on-sale date: they should be the same date since ebook retailers do not recognize an on-sale date and will start selling your ebook as soon as it is uploaded and they receive the information from Ingram.
You will be able to set a publication date and an on-sale date for an ebook, however, our ebook retail partners only recognize the publication date. If the ebook retail partners pick up the ebook, they will accept preorders for the ebook if the publication day is set in the future.
- Add the page count.
- Distribution Rights: If you own the rights to sell this digital content anywhere in the world, select “Yes.” This should be true if you are the author of the ebook you’re uploading, but research your regional copyright laws if you feel unsure. If you select “No,” you will be presented with a list of regional markets to go through and check or uncheck. Please contact the customer support team if you need any help completing this step.
If you set up a print title and the ebook at the same time, you must upload a total of four files (interior file and cover file for the print edition and the same for the ebook edition).
UPLOAD THE FILES
EBook Interior File
IngramSpark requires that ebooks be saved in the ePUB format, the universal file format for digital books. If your ePUB file is ready, upload it to the “Ebook File” box. If not, there are many ways to get your print manuscript digitized into a full-flowing ebook file, through IngramSpark and freelance designers.
EBook Cover Image File
Your ebook cover image should be a JPG of just the front cover of your book, without bleeds. If you don’t have an image like this saved, ask your designer to prepare one for you or crop it down from your full cover spread and save the file as a JPG.
Finally, upload the JPG to the “Cover Image File” box.
Click the “Continue” button to enter the "content validation" phase, where our premedia team internally scans your ebook files for errors or glitches. If any problems are discovered, IngramSpark will provide you with an error message and how to correct them.
IngramSpark offers a file creation/conversion service for $0.60 U.S., per page:
If you have a print PDF file uploaded to your IngramSpark account for a print book, we can create an ePUB file for your ebook. Simply click the Convert button beside the title on your Dashboard to begin the process. There is a $25 setup fee for each ebook unless you use our ebook conversion service. More information about our ebook conversion service can be located further below.
What you should know...
- The ebook conversion process typically takes 15 business days.
The following is a list of languages that can be converted:
All the Indian languages
- We will use the PDF file in your IngramSpark account for the print book to create a re-flowable ePUB file.
- You will not be able to revise your print file until the ebook conversion is complete.
- The cost for this service is $.60 cents per page. This fee will be charged to the credit card on file. The total conversion cost will be displayed on the last screen of the conversion process for your approval.
- If using our conversion service, enter promo code FREEEBOOK to waive the $25 setup fee.
- A unique ISBN (different from the print version) is required. You can supply your own or if located in the U.S., customers can purchase a discounted ISBN or use a free ISBN during the setup process.
- You will also add the retail/list price for the ebook for each distribution market, during the ebook title setup process.
- Once your conversion is complete, we will upload the ePUB file to your account and notify you when the title has been distributed.
**Please note that once the conversion is complete, any revisions or changes to the content or cover image would need to be made to the file by you and would be subject to a $25 revision fee. We recommend only requesting the ebook conversion service once you are satisfied with the content in your print file.
Corrections or Revisions to ePUB Files Converted From a Print PDF by IngramSpark
If IngramSpark had the ePUB file created for you from the print PDF, please contact support about submitting corrections to the ePUB file.
If you need to make 10 editorial changes (punctuation, misspellings, etc.) or fewer
This does not include adding content. i.e. No new pages, chapters, adding or changing footnotes, etc.
Contact support for instructions on how to submit the corrections to be made to the ePUB file. These revisions can usually take 3 business days to complete. The revision fee is $25.
If you have more than 10 edits to make to the file, this is a revision and a new conversion must be submitted.
Contact support for instructions. Conversions usually take 15 business days and are charged for a full conversion @ $.60 per page.
- Anything that requires more than 10 editorial changes or adding content to the file should be considered a whole new conversion. Full cost at 60¢ per page.
- 10 editorial changes (punctuation, misspellings, etc.) or less would be $25. This does not include adding content. i.e. No new pages, chapters, adding or changing footnotes, etc.
HELP US HELP YOU!
If this article didn't answer your question, please share in the comments section below the problem you experienced or the help you were needing.