Everything you need to know about eproofs.
If your uploaded files are print ready, you will receive an eProof to approve on your account, and you will also receive an email with a link to the eProof. Approving the eProof allows you to add distribution (if applicable) to your book by clicking the "enable distribution" button and allows your title to be available for printing for orders you need.
Whether you upload new files or revised files, you will always receive an electronic proof of your print book to review and approve. Your eproof is made available within 3-5 business days after your files are submitted.
The eproof is an electronic representation of the way your book will look when printed. When reviewing the eproof, look for issues related to the look of your book including:
- text or images cut off of page or running into the gutter
- images that have moved or are blurry
- fonts or characters not displaying properly
The onscreen colors of the eproof will not precisely match the printed version of your book. We recommend that you order at least one physical copy of the book before placing a large order.
***eproofs are available for print books only. Due to the nature of ePub files, we do not provide eproofs for eBooks.
A yellow Titles Pending Approval button will be featured on your Dashboard when an eproof is available to review.
Click on the yellow button and then the title of your book, shown in blue. This takes you to the title approval page, where you can download your eproof. Click on the green download proof link.
After you review your eproof, you may accept or reject it.
There are three options when you approve your eproof:
- 1) Approve the eproof for the book and add distribution services by clicking the "enable" button
- 2) Approve the eproof for the book and keep it out of distribution until a later date (you can enable distribution at any time)
- 3) Reject the eproof
If your book has never been in production and the eproof is rejected, you may upload new or revised files at no cost.
Because it is difficult to determine exactly what your book will look like until it is printed, publishers have the option to approve the eproof, but keep the book out of distribution until reviewing a printed copy.
If you decide you want to upload new files, you may do so by uploading and submitting a revised file. To submit a revision, click on the title of your book and the Upload New Files button.
When reviewing eproofs and PDFs, you will often see hairlines. These thin, light-colored lines are a result of a transparency flattener used by PDF creators and will sometimes appear around text boxes and masked images. Fortunately, these hairlines are only visible in your PDF and will not appear when the book is printed. These lines may appear in the eproof for both the cover and interior files.
While the above examples are most common, hairlines may also present themselves in additional ways. If you have any concerns, it’s advisable to review your files to ensure the lines aren’t present. You may also order a printed copy of your book for review.
If your book has a case laminate cover, your eProof will be cropped to the board area of the book. Content in the gutter area will not show when your cover is cropped on the eProof, but it will appear when the book is printed.
You can see the gutter content on the eProof page that displays your cover file on our template.
Recommended items to consider while evaluating your eproof:
• Are your latest changes in the eproof?
• Is the pagination correct: odd-numbered pages on the right/recto and even numbers on the left/verso?
• Are the page items and text positioned correct on the page?
• Does your eproof contain any spelling or grammatical errors or typos that need to be corrected?
• Is the ISBN correct and identical on the cover as well as the copyright page?
• Does the price on the cover match the price in the book's metadata, entered during the title setup process?
• eproofs should not be used to evaluate color or print quality. A printed copy should be reviewed to evaluate this.
• The cropping of both the cover and interior is approximate and does not account for the manufacturing variance of 1/16” (2mm)
• eProof file sizes are limited to 2GB. Where a file is close to this limit, pages are removed from the middle of the content to reduce the file size. When this happens you will see a watermark appear at the bottom of each interior page confirming that pages have been removed. This only appears in the eproof file and does not apply when the book is printed.
*Orders will not print unless the eproof is approved*