transfer book move title file information ISBN CreateSpace KDP exclusive expanded distribution retire decease
If you would like to transfer or move book files and information from a publisher, KDP, or other author service accounts to your IngramSpark account you'll need to provide the required information in the form located HERE to start the transfer process.
Title transfers can take up to 30 days to complete. We will notify you when the transfer is completed.
The account receiving the transfer must be fully active, i.e., all account set up tasks listed on the Dashboard must be completed.
Once a title is transferred to the author or publisher's IngramSpark account, that author/publisher will be responsible for the title moving forward. This includes invoices, returns, and compensation payments for sales through Ingram's global distribution network of retailers.
The sales and return history that occurred prior to the transfer will not be visible to you from your IngramSpark account.
The author/publisher of the transferred title will have the ability to update metadata, submit new files, and make revisions to the files for the title.
- If the same ISBN will be used and transferred, the title's pricing and return status move with it.
- If the book was listed as returnable when transferred and the same ISBN is used, the new owner/publisher will receive returns, if there are any.
- If the return status is changed from returnable to non-returnable prior to the transfer, or immediately following the transfer, returns will be allowed and accepted for 180 days.
- To avoid returns for a book that was listed as returnable with a prior publisher, it is best to obtain a new ISBN.
KDP Title Transfers
You can have your book in your own IngramSpark account and available for sale through Ingram's global distribution network AND have it in your Amazon Kindle Publishing (KDP) account, as long as you do not use their Expanded Distribution option.
- If CreateSpace or KDP owns the ISBN or if it is CreateSpace or KDP exclusive, it cannot be transferred.
- If the author or publisher owns the ISBN, the files and ISBN can be transferred to the author or publisher's account once Expanded Distribution is removed and CreateSpace or KDP confirms with IngramSpark support the transfer can be completed.
- If the title has never been in Expanded Distribution, it can be set up as a new title in the IngramSpark account without having to go through the title transfer process.
IngramSpark now offers free ISBNs to authors and publishers located in the United States.
Things to consider if using a free ISBN:
- The imprint will be listed as Indy Pub which may appear as the publisher name on websites
- A free ISBN cannot be transferred to another account in the future
- A free ISBN cannot be used on any other publishing platforms (KDP, Blurb, Bookbaby, etc.)
- Any title with a free ISBN must be placed in our wholesale distribution program
- Pricing for at least one market is required and the book will be available for sale through each market pricing is provided for
- If you use a free ISBN and later decide you want to own the ISBN, you will have to set up the book as a new or revised title and purchase a different ISBN for the book
- Promo codes cannot be used in conjunction with a free ISBN (Example: promo codes for free title setup)
HELP US HELP YOU!
If this article didn't answer your question, please share in the comments section below the problem you experienced or the help you were needing with transferring your title.