With Ingram/Lightning Source's "one-off" digital print technology and print-on-demand services you can order 1 printed copy of your book or thousands of copies- order only what you need, when you need it, and with a fast turnaround time!
Once your book is in production and available for printing, you are able to place orders for printed copies of your book(s) through your IngramSpark account. You'll pay the print cost, shipping & handling fees, and taxes if applicable, for all orders you place.
ORDERS WILL NOT PRINT:
- If your title does not show a status of “Available for Printing/Download” on your Dashboard or on the All Titles page where all of your titles are listed.
- If your files are in the review process or if your eproof has not been approved.
How to Submit an Order
Orders must be submitted by you through your IngramSpark account. IngramSpark support reps are unable to enter orders for you but are happy to assist you with placing your order.
To begin creating an order to submit for printing, click on the Orders section of your IngramSpark account.
When you click Orders you will land on the Add Books To Order page, which is also located through the Place Order link and where you will see all of your titles listed.
Select the titles you would like to order by clicking the box to the far left of each title and then click the "Add Items to Order" button (see below).
You also have the option to select one of the other links (Pending, Submitted, Search, Address Books) listed below Orders. This information is provided further below, following the ordering instructions.
The following screenshot is of the order page with numbered descriptions listed below:
1. IngramSpark Order Number.
2. Default Return Address. This is the address the order will be returned to if it cannot be delivered to the shipping address provided for the order or if it is refused by the recipient. This address can be changed by clicking on the CHANGE button and selecting or adding a new return address for an order. Please do not use addresses for Ingram, IngramSpark, or Lightning Source as your return address.
3. Default Shipping Address. This is the address the order will ship to. This address can be changed by clicking on the CHANGE button and selecting or adding a new shipping address for an order.
4. Print Location. You can select one of the following Lightning Source print locations from the drop-down menu for printing your order: US, UK, Australia. Not all Ingram/Lightning Source product offerings are available in all print locations. Click here to review the IngramSpark rate card for available products and pricing for each location.
5. Order Promotion Code. This is the field where you will enter a promo code if you have one to use for an order. Promo codes are case sensitive. Please make sure you do not have any blank spaces before or after the code.
6. How quickly would you like your order printed? Once an order is submitted for printing, the print turnaround time starts on the following business day. Example: You submit an order on Tuesday, it will be routed/sent to the print facility on Wednesday to begin printing. If an order is placed after 3:00 PM CST (U.S. time zone), it is considered the next day's order and will begin printing two business days later.
7. How quickly would you like your order to be delivered? Available shipping options will be displayed here for you to select from. The estimated delivery time is listed as business days. Please be sure to pay attention to the notification box located at the bottom of the order page (#10).
8. Ordered Quantity. 1 copy or unit will be automatically listed in the order quantity field. In this example, the carton quantity listed is 16 books. If you want to order 1 carton of books, you will enter the number of units listed in a carton, in this case, it would be 16 for the quantity.
8a. If the title was set up with a future on-sale date and you need to order books, the order field will be hilited in yellow and you will see the option to either override the on-sale date or hold the printing until the on-sale date.
9. Personalize It! Add a personalized message to the first page of the book for $1 per unit! Click here for more information.
10. Notification! Please be sure to review this important information about your order.
11. Clear Order. Click this button to delete all items in the order.
12. Add More Books. Click this button to be taken back to the Add Books To Order page where you can select your titles to be ordered and printed.
13. Update Order. If you make any changes to the order or before submitting the order for printing, click this button to see the updated print cost, shipping & handling fees, and taxes.
14. Submit Order. Click this button once you are ready to submit the order for printing.
NOTE About Acceptable Languages & Characters to Use: When placing an order and entering a ship to address, Ingram/Lightning Source can currently print shipping labels using only normal English-style letters or languages that do not use UTF8 characters or symbols.
Syriac languages, Chinese, Russian, etc. (that use symbolic/other alphabets) will not currently work and will cause delivery and tracking problems.
If you need to delete a title from the order you can click the trash can icon to delete that line item from the order.
*It is important to note that non-trackable/non-insurable shipping options, such as basic do not generate tracking numbers and we are unable to track or insure orders with this shipping method.
*UPS does not deliver to PO Box addresses. If you select a UPS shipping option (Ground, 2nd Day, or Next Day) as your shipping service and the shipping address is a PO Box, the order may be shipped using USPS.
*There is a 10% GST charge for printing and a 10% GST charge for shipping for all orders in Australia.
*Shipments into Canada (and other countries) are subject to various fees, including import duties, GST, brokerage fees, and document preparation fees. For more information, click here.
The next step is to VERIFY and PAY for the order...
VERIFY the return address and shipping address are correct. Verify the books and quantities ordered to be printed are correct.
PAYMENT METHOD: Select your credit card from the drop-down menu and enter your security code or pay with another credit card by clicking on the Pay with a new card button and provide the credit card information.
PURCHASE ORDER NUMBER: You can provide a purchase order number for the order, for your records. This would be a number you create and provide.
EMAIL ADDRESS: Provide your email address to receive a notification email when your order ships.
Once the order is complete, click on the I Accept button, located in the far right bottom corner. This submits your order for processing and printing. This order will now appear in the Submitted section of Orders.
Orders will only be processed once you have approved the title for production. Eproofs for titles must be approved before the order will print.
PLACE ORDER: This is where you select titles to order for printing.
PENDING: Orders you have created but have not submitted for printing. If you want to remove an order from the list, click the trash can icon located to the far right and it will be deleted. If you would like to submit the order for printing, click on the order number and complete submission.
SUBMITTED: A list of orders you placed and submitted for printing. Information includes order number (starts with SPK-), date and time the order was placed, and the email address. Click on the order number to view the order details.
SEARCH: Search for an order using the search options listed in the drop-down menu. If you would like to see ALL print orders, including orders printed by a third party/offset, leave the search criteria field blank and the search will return all orders. To the far right, you will see a square black button with a white + inside. Clicking this will allow you to add conditions so you can "drill down" even further into your search.
ADDRESS BOOK: This is where you will enter and save all of the shipping addresses for print orders you place. This is also where your return address is stored and can be updated.
How do I calculate the cost of an order?
Besides creating an order on your IngramSpark account, you can obtain a print and shipping estimate by using our Print and Shipping Calculator. You can access our calculator at the link below or in the Help section of your account:
How do I know when I will receive my order?
How quickly you receive your order will depend on the printing and shipping methods chosen when your order was placed.
Publisher Direct orders (orders you place through your IngramSpark account) have a standard "economy" print service level that may vary depending on the current backlog of orders:
- Orders for paperback books that are shipped directly to the publisher or drop-shipped directly to their customer are usually printed and shipped within 20-22 business days.
- Books with a hardcover binding that are shipped directly to the publisher or drop-shipped directly to their customer are usually printed and shipped within 22-24 business days.
When an order is submitted for printing through your IngramSpark account, the order is usually routed to the print floor to begin printing the next business day.
You can choose to expedite the printing of an order by selecting the Express or Rush print service levels when placing the order. Expedited orders are given priority and are placed in the next available print queue for that bind type and size. There is a rush fee charged for this service which is displayed on the ordering page.
If you expedite the printing of an order, we suggest you also consider expediting the shipping of the order. In the U.S., there are 4 print facilities and the order could be routed to any of the 4 locations and it's not always the closest print facility to the end delivery address.
Delivery times range from 1-8 business days, based on ship-to location and shipping method selected when placing an order.
Print-on-demand orders received from our global distribution network of retail partners, including Amazon and Barnes and Noble, are printed and shipped usually within 24 hours.
For safety reasons, we do not allow customers to pick up their orders.
Where will my order print?
We have 4 print facilities in the United States, 1 in the United Kingdom, and 1 in Australia.
For orders printed in the US, we make every effort to manufacture each order at the most efficient location based on geography, capacity, and capability. There are many variables that influence where a specific order will be manufactured (equipment, weather, logistics, volume, capacity, site capability, etc). Based on these factors, an order may print at any of the 4 facilities and the location could change from order-to-order.
You can order books for yourself or have them printed and shipped to a person or company. To do this, you will place an order through your IngramSpark account. When placing the order through your account, you can select the option to have your books printed in the US, UK, or Australia and will be charged for the print, shipping, and handling fees and taxes, if applicable, for that market.
- To place an order, log in to your account and click on the link for ORDERS which takes you to the page where your titles are listed.
- Select the titles you would like to order and click the ADD ITEMS TO ORDER button.
- After selecting or adding a shipping address you will select the PRINT LOCATION from the drop-down menu of where the order is to be printed.
How do I check the status of my order?
In the order section click on the link for Submitted. Click on the order number to view the order. The order screen will show the status of your order (example further below):
- Pending – These are orders that have been submitted but are not scheduled to begin the printing process. This status is commonly seen when the eproof has not been approved. If your title is not in production, orders will not print. Please check the status of your title in your library.
- Submitted – This means that the order has recently been submitted, but it has not routed to a print facility yet.
- Print Ready – The order is ready to begin the printing process.
- Printing – The order was routed to a print facility, and it is in the printing process.
- Shipped – This means that the order has shipped and is out for delivery.
In the U.S., sometimes a print order is split and sent to different print locations. When this happens, one part of the order may ship at a different time than the other. See the order status and print location columns in the example below. You can view this information for an order through the Submitted section of Orders:
How do I cancel an order?
Orders can be canceled on your IngramSpark account within the first 30 minutes after the order is placed. There will be a blue "Cancel" button beside the order number on the Submitted page. If it's been longer than 30 minutes, please contact customer support to see if your order can be canceled.
Do I receive any discounts?
IngramSpark offers a volume discount off the print cost for orders of 750+ copies per title/ISBN/SKU, of many, but not all product types, printed in the United States only. You can find the discounted print cost by using the print and shipping calculator in the Help section of your IngramSpark account or by placing an order, which you can delete instead of submitting for printing. When placing an order be sure to click the Update Order button to determine the discounted print cost as well as other fees. Or, you can contact an IngramSpark customer support team member to help you find the print and shipping costs for an order.
If you believe there is an issue with your order, please let us know. You may see more information in our Order Claims article here.
Can I pick up my order at a print facility?
For safety reasons, we do not allow customers to pick up their orders.
Publisher orders are shipped in unbranded, brown, Kraft, single-walled corrugated cartons having a minimum corrugating test weight of 275 pounds. All cartons and boxes are unbranded.
• Carton Size is closely matched with each order to minimize packaging materials usage and ensure sturdy packaging, thereby minimizing transit damage.
• IngramSpark determines the size-specific carton by the number of books in the shipment and the size of the individual books.
• Our vendors have approved the way we pack our cartons with craft paper on two sides of the box.
Carton Quantity (or Carton Qty) refers to the number of books that fit in a box for a particular title. The carton quantity can be seen on your Title Details page and when you create a new order.
Carton quantity is helpful because it lets you know how many boxes to expect in your order based on the number of books you order.
*Remember that carton quantity just tells you the number of books that fit in a box, and you are not required to order this number of books. You can always order as few or as many books as you like.
*Carton quantity is typically accurate but not always guaranteed.
In the screenshot below, 19 books fit into one box.
Declared Unit Value
The Declared Unit Value is a mandatory field that must be completed on all orders shipping internationally. This is used to generate the Custom’s invoice sent with the consignment.
Where does the Declared Unit Value appear when placing an order?
The Declared Unit value appears on the Order Summary page before the Unit Selling Price, see below highlighted in blue:
What should be entered in the Declared Unit value field?
This value should be the same value as the Unit Selling Price (print cost) shown on the order, this is the value of 1 copy of this title and should be different for each title being ordered.
Note: This value should never be input as anything other than the Unit Selling Price (print cost for 1 copy) as this figure is then multiplied by the number of units being purchased. If this value is input incorrectly the Custom’s Invoice will be incorrect and this may lead to additional charges and exceptions being raised by Custom’s.