Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, India, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain global international market
With the Global Connect Program (GCP), Ingram/Lightning Source (LS) entered into an agreement with trusted and vetted printers in international markets, not currently served directly by Ingram/LS, to provide print and distribution services for those markets. Bookstores and retailers in those markets can purchase your book from the trusted printer in their country, saving them overseas shipping fees and providing a quicker turnaround time for them to receive the product. No inventory, shipping, currency headaches, or import/export issues to be concerned about. All sales are non-returnable through Global Connect.
By entering a U.S. retail price and wholesale discount for each title, Ingram will make your titles available in each current GCP Market and any additional GCP Markets as they become available. Providing Pricing in the Global Connect Program will serve as your permission to distribute the title in all GCP markets.
The current GCP markets are Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, India, Japan, Poland, Russia, South Korea, and Spain.
You can add pricing in one market and it is automatically calculated for the other markets (US and UK pricing were entered in the examples below)
You will need to add the wholesale discount and returns option you want to offer in each market. Once that is done you will see the correct amount of compensation calculated to the right, in that market's currency. If you want to see what that amount calculates to in your currency, you can enter the amount into a currency converter calculator, such as www.xe.com
Dropship orders are not available through these printers. They only fulfill bookstore and retail orders in their market.
Benefits of Using Global Connect
• Eliminate shipping cost
• Eliminate the guesswork of determining how much inventory to print and ship
• Allows a publisher to add titles they may have been unwilling to offer to the market due to low or unknown sales potential
• Never miss a sale in the market
• Make titles available without dealing with the local printer, unsecure file distribution, or currency exchange
• Possible frontlist solution into foreign language markets
You can watch a video with more information about Global Connect here.
What currency am I paid in? All payments to the publisher are calculated in US$ and paid in the currency the publisher normally receives. The payment currencies supported today are USD, GBP, AUD, EUR, and CAD.
Who sets the price in the local market? The publisher provides a price they will be paid for each book in US$ and the printer partner will convert this to their currency, add margin and print cost, and then determine the price to sell the book in their market and in their currency.
Are the books returnable? No, all sales are non-returnable through the Global Connect Program.
How often do I receive reporting? We provide sales reports for GCP sales monthly within the existing US POD publisher comp statements. You can also generate reports from your IngramSpark account. This can be found under Reports, Print sales reports. Select the option for the Global Connect/Espresso report. If viewing online, be sure to deselect the option for POD.
Can I remove pricing from a GCP market? No, participation in the GCP requires you to offer pricing in all GCP markets.
- Print partner: Meta Brasil
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.com.br; www.Submarino.com.br; www.EstanteVirtual.com.br
- Popular Content: Mostly non-Portuguese language education and academic textbooks. Original versions of international bestsellers
- Where will the content be available? Amazon Brazil, Submarino (the largest Brazilian e-commerce), Estante Virtual, various independent bookstores.
- Print partner: CNPIEC
- Physical Connectivity: CNPIEC library catalog
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.CNS
- Six locations across China: Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Dalian Group. Their print-on-demand facility is located in Beijing.
- Popular content: A variety of foreign books sell in China. There is greater interest in academic, foreign language education, children’s and young adult titles.
- Where will the content be available? Xinhua, China’s state-owned publication distribution and retail network, works closely with CNPIEC. CNPIEC also distributes directly to private retailers such as Dang Dang, JD.com, and Amazon China. Your books will be available across several market segments including institutional markets, physical bookstores, online bookstores, and the media sector.
- Print Partner: Books on Demand
- Physical Connectivity: Libri (owners of BOD)
- Online Connectivity: www.libri.de
- Popular Content: English continues to dominate as the language of origin for translations into German, by a large margin. The main content types that are popular in the German market are Fiction, Children and Young Adult, Self-Help, Scientific, Non-Fiction, School and Education, and Travel.
- Where will content be available? BoD offers printing and delivery of books and then distributes through direct links to major book wholesalers.
- Print partner: Repro Knowledgecast
- Online Connectivity: www.Amazon.in; www.Flipkart.in; www.Snapdeal.in; www.Paytm.in; www.Infibeam.com; www.Rediff.com; www.shopclues.com
- Popular Content: Academic titles, test prep materials, and trade fiction are most in demand.
- Where will content be available? Books will be available through these online retailers: Amazon.in, Flipkart, PayTM, Snapdeal, Rediff, Infibeam, Shopclues.com.
- Print partner: Rotomail
- Physical Connectivity: Lampi di Stampa (Messeggerie Italiane); Rizzoli RCS; Messeggerie Internazionale; Mondadori
- Popular Content: Bestselling English-language fiction books that have been translated into Italian are top sellers in Italy. Additionally, the top content types are Non-Fiction, Fiction by a Foreign Author, Children's and Young Adult, and Fiction by an Italian author.
- Where will content be available? Rotomail works to make Lightning Source titles available via IBS.it, Libraccio.it, Inmondadori.it, Libreriarizzoli.it
- Print partner: Azymut
- Physical Connectivity: PWN Bookstores
- Online Connectivity: www.empik.com; www.Krainaksiazek.pl; www.Gigant.pl; www.Czytam.pl
- Popular Content: The content most in-demand in Poland is Non-Fiction, Action and Crime, Romance, and Belles Lettres.
- Where will content be available? AZYMUT distributes titles online through Krainaksiazek.pl, Gigant.pl, Czytam.pl, and Empik.com, Poland’s largest online media retailer. They are also available through PWN Bookstores, which have physical as well as online stores.
- Printer partner: Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP)
- Physical Connectivity: Maruzen, a chain of booksellers, will be able to sell your titles in bricks-and-mortar retailers as well as directly to universities and libraries.
- Online Connectivity: Amazon.co.jp
- Popular Content: The most in-demand content in Japan is (listed in order of ranking) Juvenile Fiction, Comics & Graphic Novels, Fiction, Juvenile Non-Fiction, History, Business & Economics, Educational, Religion, Biography, and Foreign Language Study (including English as a foreign language)
- Percent of Ingram’s Total POD Sales into Japan by Content-Language:
- 97% English
- 1.0% Japanese
- 0.7% Spanish
- 0.4% German
- 0.3% French
- 0.2% Italian
- 0.4% All other languages
- Where will content be available? Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) is an innovative printing company that has been based in Tokyo, Japan since 1876. DNP has been involved in the Print-on-Demand (POD) book business since 2001. DNP will sell your titles online through Amazon.co.jp. DNP will make the full Global Connect catalog available to the bookstore chain Maruzen, where booksellers will be able to sell your titles both in brick-and-mortar retailers and directly to universities and libraries.
Japan's Top 10 Best-selling Individual BISAC Codes Over the Past 3 Years
- Print partner: T8
- Online Connectivity: www.ozon.ru; www.read.ru; www.books.ru
- Content: The content in most demand in Russia is Fiction, Children's and Young Adult, Practically Oriented Literature, Teaching Books for Schools and Universities.
- Where will content be available? T8 works with more than 95% of the whole market in terms of distribution. The main channels are ozon.ru, read.ru, books.ru.
- Print Partner: KSI
- Online Connectivity: www.Yes24.com; www.Aladdin.co.kr; www.Kyobo.co.kr; www.Interpark.com
- Popular Content: Since most Koreans are fluent in English, they are interested in all kinds of English-language content. Academic books are one of the best-selling book's segments in Korea
- Where will content be available? KSI has established relationships with distributors and 2,300+ retail points of sale across South Korea including online bookstores such as www.Yes24.com, www.aladin.co.kr, and www.kyobobook.co.kr along with independent booksellers, universities, and government organizations. KSI also has its own website for distributing foreign titles that covers all parts of South Korea.
- Print partner: Podiprint
- Physical Connectivity: CEGAL (Spanish Confederation of Guilds and Associations of Booksellers)
- Online Connectivity: www.casadellibro.com; www.carrefour.com.es; www.Buscalibre.es; www.Amazon.es; www.Fnac.es; www.elcorteingles.es
- Popular Content: The content in most demand in Spain is Non-Academic Textbooks, Literature, and Children's and Young Adult.
- Where will content be available? Podiprint has an agreement with CEGAL, the Spanish Confederation of Guilds and Associations of Booksellers, and brings together 1,600 bookstores throughout Spain, all of who receive catalogs.